A Recreation Ground provided by public subscription for the inhabitants of Wiveliscombe, as a memorial to those who gave their lives in the 1914/1918 war, opened June 1920. Owned by Trustees and run by a Voluntary Management Committee. The Oblisk built by William White and dedicated 3rd June 1920.
Wiveliscombe Cricket Club - est 1870
Wiveliscombe Rugby Club - est 1872 (the second oldest club in Somerset)
Wiveliscombe Tennis Club - est 1923
Wiveliscombe Swimming Pool Club - est 1927
On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (2016)the people of Wiveliscombe, led by Major-General Sir Christopher Airy KCVO CBE, stood for 2 minutes silence in the square. Members of the Wiveliscombe Branch of the Royal British Legion, who were joined by a number of the general public, proceeded to the War Memorial Recreation Ground. The Oblisk was found to have been adorned with a number of crocheted poppies. After the laying of the Wreath by Major Mike Morin who was attended by the branch Escorts and Standard Bearer, Sir Christopher commented on how wonderful it looked and hopefully it would make more people aware that it is a War Memorial.