- Contact Email:
- Primary Phone Number:
- 01984 624564
- c/o Community Office,
In touch with the past, looking to the future
What does the Wiveliscombe Civic Society do?
The Society holds an annual programme of talks and social events, plus visits to locations of interest in the area. These are held monthly and everyone is welcome.
The Society publishes the “Wiveliscombe Messenger” - a bi-monthly newspaper distributed free to 3,000 homes in the area.
The Society looks at planning applications which come before the Town Council and comments on matters of relevance in the area of architecture and conservation.
The Society is a founder member of the Wiveliscombe Area Partnership (WAP), formed in January 2000 jointly with the Town Council and the Area Business Group, to further the economic and social future of the town. WAP runs the Community Office in The Square, Wiveliscombe and it also manages the highly successful community transport scheme, Wivey Link.
How Does Wiveliscombe Civic Society Work?
The Wiveliscombe Civic Society holds a brief Annual General Meeting in September or October each year where all members present elect Officers and a Committee.
The Committee meets regularly throughout the year to enact the objectives of the Society, which are to...
- Promote civic pride in Wiveliscombe
- Promote high standards of planning and architecture
- Raise public awareness of the history, geography and natural history of the town.
- Preserve, protect, develop and improve those features unique to Wiveliscombe
- Secure and promote the economic welfare of Wiveliscombe
- Bring together the people of Wiveliscombe at meetings, social gatherings and event